Road accidents often happen due to drink-and-drive conditions and driving under the influence of alcohol or other narcotic drugs is criminalized in every state. Hence, if you are found drunk while driving your car, the police may arrest you under DUI offense. In that case, you will definitely need the help of a DUI lawyer to save the day.
So, let’s discuss elaborately about DUI and how to prevent the unpleasant outcome of it.
WHAT IS DUI?
It is a criminal offense if you drive under the influence of alcohol and it is termed as Driving Under the Influence (DUI). The permitted level of alcohol content in blood is 0.05%-0.08% (0.12% in some jurisdiction) and if it exceeds, the driver can be accused. It doesn’t matter you are in full consciousness or not, you can always be convicted if you are found drunk while driving.
After you are convicted, your license may be seized with a fine and summoned by the court of law. If the case involves the injury of the person, endangerment of a child, or damage to property, the consequences may be severe.
ARE YOU LIABLE FOR A DUI OF YOUR GUEST?
While arranging a party that includes alcohol, you must be careful because it may result a Driving Under the Influence for which even you might be considered liable. The Centre for Mental Health and Addiction (CAMH) identifies the following cases where you are held responsible for any DUI offense when an injury related to alcohol occurs:
- When you offer alcohol to a person in a party, you are hosting who is planning to drive while impaired.
- When you fail to ensure the safety of your guest in your party involving alcohol while they are on your premise.
- When organizing a corporate party, you offer alcohol to intoxicated employees.
- When you are organizing a permitted street party, but alcohol is not served responsibly and it results the damage of property.
- When you host any other party with alcohol in public places without meeting the legal requirements that causes property damage.
- When your underage children organize a party in your premise with your consent.
Preventing DUI by telling your drunken guests that they can’t is not that easy. Dropping them to their respective homes by yourself can be a solution in case of a small party but might not be possible in most of the cases. To make sure that your guests are safe you need to take responsible steps while arranging an event or party. A proper management with adequately trained staffs and maintaining legal guidelines is very important to avoid a conviction hence consulting a DUI lawyer is important.
Drinking and driving is responsible for ruining the lives of many people over the years. It brings danger not only for you, but also for others. It is the best way not to drink before driving to ensure your own safety. In case, you are convicted with DUI, consult a DUI lawyer rather than defending yourself.